Wednesday, August 19, 2009

God Always Knows What He's Doing. . .

Today I found out that my somewhat estranged father lost his teaching job. He made someone (or many people) angry, he did some not quite by the book things, and someone that didn't like him decided to get rid of him.

I don't know what happened, or why this happened. I don't know the meaning behind it if there is one. I do know a couple of things though: The man unequivically believes that God knows what He is doing. This is a mantra I have heard for my entire life. I'm sure that if you believe in God as a Jew does or as a Muslim does it's rather easy to say this mantra as well.

I have a serious question to that answer though: What are YOU doing? Every time that I hear someone say this tired epithet, I wonder what they will do in their assurance that God is doing "something". My dad says that he won't fight this "injustice" because it might harm other people to do so, but he's harming his youngest son by not doing so. He's letting a gauranteed spot at a fine school get ripped out from underneath my brother, who was supposed to begin his college career next week. Is that God's plan? I think it must be my father's plan to let this one go. I don't know why, and I lose respect for him by knowning that someone else's well-being is more important to him than his own son's, but I do not think that this is God's plan.

Sure, tell me God know's what he's doing. I'll buy that, even if I find it vague and dissatisfying. God does know what he's doing, but that doesn't mean it will get done if we sit on our rear ends talking about it and not helping it along.

That's my bit of prophecy for the day.

Cheers,

Patrick

No comments:

Post a Comment