Monday, September 14, 2009

What we do

There is some place, or idea, or different existence that people like to call Heaven. I've learned a whole lot about this place in my life, and I'm not sure that I'm any closer to understanding what people mean when they talk about it than I was when I was inducted into Christianity at a very young age. My wife and I were talking again, and this time we started to get into the nitty gritty of our religion.

She asked if anything matters in this crazed world if there is no after-life gaurantee that the righteous and upright get a better deal than they started out with. I asked her: "What difference does it make?" As a christian, my life should stand for the teachings of Jesus, the spirit of his message, and worrying about Heaven and Hell are simply not a part of what he has implored mankind to do. In fact, I could make a good argument that he doesn't want us to worry about them.

A friend of mine is always concerned about proving that Jesus was trying to build "The Kingdom" on earth, and that people get caught up in waiting for it to come instead of trying to make it present here and now. I guess that's the simplest way I can think to put it. Follow Jesus now, not in hope of things to come, but for the sake of everyone around you. IF we christians would actually try to follow Jesus, if all of us would, Heaven wouldn't really need to come to us. That's the way I see things, how about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment